Thursday, September 13, 2012

It's Not About Chicks


 I made chicken korma.


       
                             Actually I can't boast about my cooking as I am a lousy cook.That is why my family members(two innocent victims) are highly surprised once they had the first bite in their mouths.
                              My husband took the first bite with that ' what to do' look in his eyes which I have seen so many times in the past once they were forced to eat one of my elaborate but failed dishes  for the lunch. I was eagerly watching his response and got ready to listen to another lecture on  my cooking.
                His expresion changed and I closed my eyes waiting for the familiar set of words. When I opened my eyes he was full of smiles.Gobbling the first piece and taking another juicy one in his hands he exclaimed " oh,my! Finally my woman has shown  her culinary  expertise!"
                        Brimming with pride and joy but very cautious not to show it as he is unpredictable in his remarks, I controlled my facial muscles which were trying so hard  to surface a smile.





I threw a humble look at him.He was eating and talking and I couldn't decide which was faster.'That's what I am telling you all the time, woman! If you pay more attention to your cooking he and I won't have to go hungry "(nodding at the direction of my son) .
                       To say how much he appreciated my chicken curry, my hopes of sharing a dish with my neighbour  was totally  shattered.


        Up to now I kept you in the dark and now comes the most important thing.




          The secret was in  the simplicity of the dish.


        I don't want to tire you with my details but this dish  was very different from my regular chicken dishes and that's why I want to share it with you.
                 I did some adjustments with the ingredients and used only the most important. 
                                Apart from chicken I added a lot of coriander leaves,( not only for garnish but  in the curry too), curd, garam masala ( something similar to our spices) and water. Yes a lot of water. Three cups full!
        No coconut milk. I was puzzled as how to make the curry creamy and thick without coconut milk and doubtful whether it would  succeed.
                   Though it needed a few ingredients the method was somewhat fussy. Some ingredients were to be grounded and some were to be fried  and at the end  I couldn't find space to continue my cooking  as my table was literally cluttered with plates and dishes.
       but I shouldn't worry about them. The final outcome was a marvel.The gravy was very very tasty. As the curry was cooked in low heat for a long time all the flavours were absorbed well into the chicken pieces and it was heavenly to the palette.The dish wafted the strong flavour of corriander leaves(cilantro leaves) and it was tempting and mouthwatering. So I had to bear my husband's over indulgence with the dish.


               Hope any of you are tempted to try this at home and I would like to hear from you You can get the recipe from the YouTube.(there are hundreds of recipes for korma).. Actually  it won't go wrong. Whatever happens, your dish will taste good due to corriander leaves and the curd.


              

21 comments:

  1. The way you described the scene at the table was as tasty as the dish! Ha ha. It's a so funny! All the husbands and wives seem to be thinking along the same lines!
    Well about the disadvantage of blogging in English, I agree. You see my Sinhala blog has 43000 hits and English one has 25000. They both are the same age. But English one has a wider audience in the rest of the English speaking world.
    henryblogwalker (මට භිතෙන හැටි) the Dude (HeyDude)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u for the quick comment.Yes, even now I can picture his beaming face at the table. Whatever the outer layers are I think we still are cave men and women in the core.You are lucky to have such numbers for your blogs.(per month?)I am ashamed even to mention the figures!

      Delete
    2. Oh noo. This is all time. From 2011 July. Hard earned.

      Some advice for increase traffic is as follows.
      Make your blog more user friendly. (Like removing those messy buttons on scroll bar, comments on another page, etc.)
      Make it a bit more colorful. Now it looks more professional.
      Comment on other peoples blogs and be seen to others.
      Make Topics attractive.

      They work, believe me.



      henryblogwalker (මට භිතෙන හැටි) the Dude (HeyDude)

      Delete
    3. Thank u very much for your advice.It's bit difficult for me to change the settings, yet I have to learn it; I think. Regarding the topics, this is all I can do!

      Delete
  2. This will be useful to me in the future because my fiance is not a vegan like me. I've tried enough to make one from him. So,I will have to chose the path of learning to cook like this.
    I'm not afraid of trying this because my teacher has told " Actually it won't go wrong. Whatever happens, your dish will taste good due to corriander leaves and the curd " :) :)

    Well regarding writing in English, i must say even if you don't get any single comment, you should continue writing in English. There are only a handful of Sri Lankan bloggers who write in English and there are a very few of them who writes in correct English like you and Dude do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy if u think so. I can send you my recipe if u want.To be a successful cook you have to be loyal to cooking which I am not. I want to finish cooking as soon as possible to engage in my my other hobbies such as reading.(blogging was started recently.)I can give you a lot of advice on cooking as I have made millions of mistakes while doing it.
      but don't worry. If you are intelligent and smart enough to be a doctor what else can stop you? and I am very happy to read that my English is good eventhough I feel I make mistakes sometimes.Thank u for encouraging me cos' I was on the verge of stopping my blog.(only I read it. ha ha.)I read your recent blog posts but couldn't comment as I was in a hurry.(schools started)I will post a comment soon. Thanks for dropping by Sindu....a.

      Delete
    2. @ Sindu: Wow, I'm very much impressed about what you said about our use of correct English. And thanks so much!
      What really made me curious is your 'veganism'. Are you really a vegan? If this is true, the you are the first vegan I came to know of. I think it's not easy to be one and also pushing it too, far. :)
      henryblogwalker (මට භිතෙන හැටි) the Dude (HeyDude)

      Delete
    3. I agree with Sindu completely. :) My writing skills in Enlish is also not really as good as yours. so I can improve my knowledge from your posts. :) keep it up mam.. we love it..

      Delete
  3. this is really awesome.. it sounds really tasty. I should try sometimes. Me and my friend made Chicken Tikka masala with parata last week. :)
    I also sometimes feel that writing in English is a disadvantage but i'm not going to give up. My "Silent Thoughts" blog will be the English blog and "Red's Dream" will be the Sinhala one. Obviously English one gets very few comments. But I hope somebody will read it someone.. :)heheh
    Cheers.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have bookmarked them both. O.k. Let's get together poor, neglected English bloggers(Dude is not in this category as he is fortunate enough to draw a big crowd to his English blogs.) and try our best to lure others to read our posts.I have downloaded the tikka masala recipe but didn't make it as I was doubtful whether the taste would be o.k. Was it tasty?

      Delete
    2. oh yeah.. it was really tasty.. :) you should try it.. and what i meant in my above comment saying "Silent thoughts" will be my english one.. that I used to write sinhala posts in that blog as well.. but since last month i decided to write it only in english..so it will be my english blog from now onwards. :) i felt so embarrassed after re reading my comment today.. hehe..

      Delete
  4. oh my God its looking gorgeous, Yumi yumi'
    My mom is also once made this dish and it was really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog.Yes.It's a very different flavour and you have to try it out to see the difference.Now I have become addicted to it and nowadays it's nothing else but kurma. Hubby has already begun to complain ......

      Delete
  5. Since I am a vegetarian,I wont be able to try this dish..but I sure enjoyed your post.
    The way you have written it, is so entertaining and I loved reading every sentence of it.
    Please do continue writing your blog, not only because it is a very interesting one, but also because it motivates others to write in English as well.
    So keep up the good work ma'am and wish you all the very best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for being late to answer your comment as I didn't notice it earlier. Thank you very much for your encouraging words and it makes me write more.Though you don't know it, I am a regular visitor to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know anything about cooking except instant noodles & පපඩම්. Anyway my mum & my roommate can cook tasty. So still not having problem. But its worthy to try a chicken curry with my friend at quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can assure you as I told Sindu, Nothing can go wrong. The flavour of corriander leaves and potatoes make all the difference. If u want more gravy, you can add more water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. He he.. I can imagine how it was the expression of your hubby when taking that yummy piece.. Great dish, should tell wife to try this a bit. Thanks Blue Lotus. I think if you align this full text gradually, it will be better to read. We call it "Justify"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of us could not help laughing.. ( malli and me) Because we know your talents in kitchen, :P ... your story came across like a colourful picture..

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaaa cannot stop laughing, thinking of the innocent victims. Read out aloud to malli, who was complaining about stealing his 'game time' and he is also laughing....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by.Make sure I see you.